Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Long Distance Running VS Sprints

Hey Guys


So as most of you know I have been doing 2x2.4km runs at Norwest for around 5 weeks and my time has dropped from 26minutes something to 19:58 (my best time).  


I need to be able to do the 2.4km in under 15 minutes in order to pass my fitness test next year which is why Rob has got me running now.  However there is also the possibility that I have to do the Beep Test instead of the 2.4km run, but I haven't been doing any sprints at all, just been concentrating on the longer distance (well 2.4km is a longer distance for me!!)  I plan on talking to Rob about this tomorrow or Friday, but do you guys think I should be including some sprints into my training for the beep test or would long distance running suffice?

2 comments:

  1. Have you spoken to Rob about this?

    I would get you to do a few longer intervals - something like 4 x 800 or 3 x 1000, so you can push yourself hard and fast, have a bit of recovery and build both speed and endurance. That should hopefully bring your 2.4km time down and help with the beep test. You want to try and run your intervals at the pace you need top complete your 2.4km in and try to keep them consistent - dont blow out on the first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah that's the problem I seem to be having is blowing out on the first one or two. I t was quite funny I'd posted this saying about doing more sprints, and then the next day at Norwest, it was sprints, and I had meant to talk to Rob about it, but after the sprint session I actually forget about it!!

    At the moment, even the 2.4km is hard for me, because I've still got the extra weight and my knee is still playing up a little when I do too much running, I just kind of have to play it by year.

    I was thinking about doing another beep test shortly to see if I have improved. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete