Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Running

Running


So guys, as I mentioned in my previous post I pretty much hate the running.  But I've such big improvements in my running that I wanted to share with you all.  As some of you know I had major knee surgery last September- I had a knee re-alignment procedure done, which kept me off my feet for quite a while I basically only got back into running around July this year, and have come such a long way since.   

Me knee after surgery last year


When I first starting running with my physio Greame I could only run not even 100m without being severly out of breath and calves, shins, and ankles would be in a lot of pain - this to me was a pretty pathetic effort on my behalf.  Basically I would try for 3 x 100m run's and they were slow runs and I would whinge to Greame about how much pain I was in, and we stayed at 3x100m for quite a while, then things started to progress upto 5x100m to 8x100, then to 10x100m, and when I got to being able to do 10x100m I was pretty impressed with myself I mean before I wouldn't have been able to do that.  


Then I started Crossfit where running seemed to be a staple in almost every WOD, so I slowly built up the running and soon I was running 200m x 3 rounds, and I was pretty stoked at that.  Then I changed boxes and started to train at Norwest, where Rob started to push me on the runs, making me do 200m runs without stopping, then upto 400m, then 800m then  before I knew it I was running (granted not the whole way) but doing 1.6km runs as a WARM UP!  I was really happy with the way everything was progressing.  


Then a WOD for a 5km came up and I freaked out big time.  I remember saying to Rob that there was no way I was going to be able to do a  5km run - was he crazy! Nope he was serious, so I got sent out first, and the run started off great I got across the road and rolled my ankle, it hurt, but I kept going, then I get the top of Victoria Ave, and my back and hip starts playing up, and Dora and Antonio pass me, but I kept on going, running...walking...running...walking along Windsor Rd, and Neil, Marty and Brandon all pass me.  I kept thinking OMG, when is this going to end, then I get to the lights and at this point I was quite emotional - almost in tears and I start running again down Hoyle Ave, where everyone was there to greet me at the end, when Rob said I still had to run the extra lap 1.6km to finish off the run.  By this point I was that emotional I was crying, and sore, and just wanted it to be over.  Dora and Antonio ran with me that last lap, they kept saying to me it doesn't matter if your crying just keep on running and I did I finally crossed the line in 58min.  I couldn't believe it, I actually did it.  I was in tears - I think they were tears of joy by the end.  I had never felt more proud of myself then I did at that moment.  


Then around 1 month ago, it came up for a 10km run at out new box, now this really freaked me out, I mean yes I had done 5km, but 10km was a huge deal.  I thought Rob would have let me scale, but no he just looked at me and said you will do it Gill, and he was right I did it, I swore, screamed cried during this tough 10km, and did it in 2hrs 10min, not happy with the time, but the fact that I did it, meant the world to me.  


Now I do 2.4km twice a week and have my time under 20 minutes- really happy with this and the way the running is going- now time to work on the beep test and the sprints!


Just remember there are things we don't like doing, but sometimes, just need to suck it up and get through it!  Its the only way to get better at them!  Since doing those 2 runs I feel like I can do anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment